Jul 14, 2010

Optima tear-down part 2

Next, out comes the motor and front and rear suspension.
After removing the rest of the external gears, I see one of the gears is actually a slipper clutch. Most of the clutch's assembly is on the inside of the gearbox, instead of the outside, like most of today's cars. It is, however, still adjustable by a nut on the outside of the gearbox.

Next it's time to remove/open the rear gearbox. This is where I am expecting to find the only problems with this car. When I turn the front wheels, I can hear the chain slipping, and the rear wheels don't turn. After opening the gearbox, all the gears and sprockets look good, but the outdrives spin freely, suggesting a problem inside. However, right before I open up the diff, I notice the set screw on one of the outdrives is almost completely loose. Once I tighten it all the way down, the diff works fine. Haza!


This is what the car looks like now:



The next step will be to clean up the parts,rebuild the shocks, and then put it back together again. Later tonight, I will upload all the pics I took during the tear down.

Tim.

No comments: