Jul 12, 2010

Optima tear-down part 1

Tonight I'm starting the tear-down of my Turbo Optima. I printed a manual for it today, but I won't really need it until it comes time to reassemble.
I've got a few empty tubs to keep the parts organized as I remove them... a large one for big parts, and 2 small ones for screws & small bits.

The first stage is removing the upper deck. I was surprised how little reinforcement the upper deck actually provides on this car. After removing it, there was almost no flex between the front and rear of the chassis.

Once I remove the chain guard, I find the most likely cause of the slipping sound coming from the gear box. I'm sure that is way too much slack. The screw holes used to attach the front end to the chassis are oblong shaped. This allows you to lengthen the chassis a few mm to tighten the chain. If it's stretched as far as it can go, and there is still too much play, the manual shows how to remove links from the chain.


Off with the shocks, shock tower, sway bar and gears.




Out with the hinge pins, so I could remove the front arms.



I've actually taken most of the car apart already, but I think I am going to call it a night.
I'll post more pics of the tear-down sometime during the next day or two.

Tim.

No comments: