Jun 16, 2011

Tamiya TB-02 spur gear mod

Well, it turned out to be much easier to modify my TB02 to 64dp gearing than I thought it would be. I stopped by Hobby Hobby on my way home from work. As luck would have it, they happened to have a TB02 'M' parts tree in stock. I say lucky because I'm told that tree has been discontinued, and is no longer being made. Apparently it was on a peg board, hidden behind the flight simulator.

The first photo shows what was purchased for this modification: The M-parts tree, 64dp pinion gears, and a 76t 64dp spur gear. Shown in the last row of pictures is another necessary part of the mod... a modified motor mount. The original mounts have 8 holes drilled in it, which only allows for only very specific pinion gear sizes, as well as only works with 48 pitch metric pinions. None of those gears let me come even close to the 4.0 maximum final drive ratio allowed in our GT2 class, thus the reason I'm doing this mod.


The middle photo below shows the original gear still on the shaft, with the adapter (found on the M-parts tree) on the right, and the new 64dp gear on the left. The far right photo shows the 64dp gear mounted to the adapter on the shaft. The shaft has 2 holes for the pin to go through. To use the adapter, you use the hole that is closet to the rear of the shaft.


The photo on the left side of the next row shows the new gear in place, before reattaching the cover/brace. The motor I'll be installing into this car is a Trinity Epic Duo 2 21.5.


The left-side photo below show's the motor mount that was modified by the previous owner. It's needs to have the bottom slot cut a little better... the motor screw heads still get caught in some original hole locations, keeping the motor from being totally adjustable. Either that, or I may simply buy a Yeah Racing adjustable motor. I found the easiest way to adjust the gear mesh was to remove the shock mount and tighten the top motor screw once I was happy with the gear spacing. Then I'd remove the mount/motor, and tighten the bottom screw. The last photo shows the new gearing and motor installed, before reinstalling the top cover/brace. Using the 46t pinion and 76t spur, combined with the internal ratio of 2.6, I get a 4.3 FDR.


FastCats is having an open practice day this Friday, so I'm looking forward to getting the a decent asphalt setup hammered out before Sunday's racing.

**UPDATE: click here to see completed TB-02**


[/Tim Sanderson]

No comments: