Jun 9, 2011

RB5 rebuild two, part 1

This past weekend I had harvested much of the RB5's parts/electronics to run my ZX5 FS at the FastCats Depot race last Sunday. So, it was time to start putting everything back into the RB5 for Friday's racing at Speed World. I had borrowed the front and rear shocks, front camber links, steering servo and esc.



There is an important step one must take before starting such a task. Food. (a.k.a. grub, a.k.a. chow) Tonight I chose to dine on a chicken burger/fries combo. Notice how the over-sized buns have been cut down to a more patty-friendly size. Patty-to-bun ratio is a commonly over looked aspect of the the successful burger, be it chicken or beef.



The springs I have been using lately are from Team Associated's spring kits. They are a little bit less in diameter, so it takes a bit of work getting the ends of the springs around the collars/retainers. The reason I've been using these is they are much less expensive. I think each front and rear kit (contains 5 sets in each kit) costs about the same as a single set of Kyosho springs. I think it was around $12 for the A.E. kits. I've been using the rear springs for a while, but this Friday's racing will be the first time I try the fronts.



Of all the fluids/lotions/potions that are used in building an R/C car, arguably the most important fluids is ice-cold beer. However, I'm sure you already know, too much of this specific fluid can be counter productive to the quality of the build. I personally recommend between one and four bottles per build session.




One of my least favorite parts of the rebuild is wiring my car. I seem to be pretty terrible at it. It never looks as good as some of these other guys. I can never get the receiver wires to look neat and tidy. If I was smart, I'd get Super Pit co-founder Bill Jones to 'murder out' my setup for me. One day I'll post a picture of a typical Jonesy setup.


This is where I stopped the rebuild. After all, it was getting close to 10:30, which means it's time to watch the new South Park episode. I'll probably go to Speed World tonight (thurs jun 9) to finish of the build, and maybe squeeze in a few laps on the new layout. I'll post some more pics later tonight.

[/Tim Sanderson]

No comments: