Nov 28, 2011

Kyosho RB5 custom chassis

A little while ago I drew up some plans to have a custom chassis cut out for my Kyosho RB5. With a little a lot of help from a guy named Brian, (bbad on LondonRC.com) I've managed to get myself to this point:
The material I've used for this prototype version is G10 Fiberglass. I bought it from a place called ThunderBolt RC in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. I bought a 12"x12" sheet of 1/8" thick G10 for less than $22, and had it shipped to my door for just a few dollars extra. This stuff is even better than I hoped it would be. It weighs more than something like Carbon Fiber would, but is more than rigid enough for this project. You might notice it is very similarly shaped to the TLR 22. That's because I used my 22 to base the dimensions on. My ultimate plan is to make it a mid motor car, but that will require quite a bit more designing, as I would need to make a new gearbox, and solve the lack of a shock tower mounting position the new chassis has left me with.

For now, my plan is to run it in a rear motor setup, using the stock gearbox. The new chassis layout will allow me to run a saddle pack lipo, as close to the front as I need, in order to get the type of steering I'm looking for on carpet.

I'll be posting more photos is in the very near future!

No comments: