Mar 29, 2011

Speed World Trophy Race Mar 27 2011

This past Sunday was the ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ second trophy race at Speed World. There was an excellent turnout, with 10 or 11 heats of 2WD & 4WD buggy, 2WD & 4WD SCT, and Micro. It was a bit of a long day, but we got in three rounds of qualifiers before the mains so it's all good. Especially seeing as my 3rd qualifier was by far my best run of the day. My first 2 qualifiers were pretty terrible, and I kept accidentally hacking a few drivers in my heats. (Especially Bruce Morley and both Bowden's. too, I think. Sorry guys!)

The last 2WD qualifiers split the 16 drivers into 3 heats instead of having 2 heats of 8. That's probably why I did so well in my last qualifier. That day I seemed to be having more problems navigating through traffic than I usually do. With less traffic to contend with, I managed to squeeze in 3 extra laps for this qualifier. That tells me both how bad I did in quals 1 & 2, and how well I ran in qual 3.

I'm happy with my fastest lap, although I really would like to have made it into the 12 second club. As for average lap times, I am quite happy with my top 10 laps being around 2.5 tenths off of my fastest lap. My top 20 could have been better, at almost 8 tenths slower than my best. With that being said, my 22 5:10:715 was good enough to qualify my 4th overall. Not a bad place to be!

The qualifying order was:
1- Leonard Schinzano
2- Dave Lyons
3- Bill Jones
4- Tim Sanderson
5- Aaron Lee
6- Todd Waite

I managed to hold onto my position for what seemed like the first half of the a-main, but that's when she all went down hill for the tsan! I felt myself run out of steam, and quickly fell to the bottom of the line. I knew I stood little chance of keeping on pace with Len, Dave and Bill, but it seems at the moment Todd and Aaron are definitely the 2 biggest thorns in my side! I tend to be able to hold them off in the qualifiers, only to have them routinely beat me in the mains. Great racing guys!

Here are the A-mains from Sunday. Enjoy!

2wd SCT A-main

4wd SCT A-main

2wd Buggy A-main

4wd Buggy A-main


[/Tim Sanderson]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Actually, this was the second trophy race. The first one was the Martin Petre Memorial race.

Tim Sanderson said...

Gotcha. Thanks, Craig. Made the change.