Mar 13, 2011

Speed World March 14 2011

I went to Speed World Hobbies in Hamilton again today, along with Jeff Eveleigh, Dave Lyons & fellow Super Pit co-founder Bill Jones. I've been meaning to try out some new tires for while now, and today did just that. Instead of Schumacher yellow mini pins, I tried out a set of kit tires that came with a Tamiya DB-01. Martin Pillmajer has been using them with success on his Durango 4WD at Motor City Raceway, so I figured the next time I needed to change my tires on my RB5, I'd try them too.
They worked awesome! They had great traction on the carpet right from the start, although at the start, they were no good at all on the 'ice' section of the track. However, after quite a few laps to scrub the tires and work them in, and a change to how I tackled the ice, I was able to stay on pace and not spin out. Mid-to-high 13 second laps was a good average, although I did hit several 13.3's as my best lap. I think these tires go for about $9 or $10 a pair. If these tires wear as well as I think they will, I think I may be using them exclusively for a while.
Here's a couple of videos... The first is a simple compilation of today's practice, while the second one is the 2WD A-main action from Friday night's points race.
Enjoy!


[/Tim Sanderson]

No comments: