Mar 7, 2011

Motor City Raceway Mar 5 2011

Saturday march 5th was yet again another great day at Motor City Raceway. It had been 6 weeks since I actually raced carpet offroad... 2 weeks ago I wasn't able to make it out to Oshawa, 4 weeks ago I broke a CVD during early morning practice.

I came to the track with a few different layouts I had worked out on paper, and chose one to try out. It turned out to be a pretty decent layout, we just need to come up with some more jumps. Personally, I'd like to see a triple, or even another couple of table tops on the strait away. This serves to both slow racers lap times down, and awesome-up the carpet off road experience. (who doesn't like a big triple or quad to sail over?) Because the jumps have to be torn down after every race day and stored at the school, they need to be fairly mobile. I have a couple of ideas for collapsible jumps that could be easily carried and stored on site. I'm going to work on some small scale mock ups this week to see if the ideas are as good as i think they are.

I only managed to finish one qualifier, and it wasn't even a very good finish, 17 laps I think. A lead came off my motor to knock me out of round one, and a broken shock top knocked me out of the 2nd qualifier. I was having a hard time getting through a couple of rumble sections with my car. It was very difficult to keep my car from being bounced end over end. Partly driver error, and partly poor setup. Seeing as I qualified right on the cusp of the A and B mains, I was given the choice as to which one I wanted to run in. Going by how my qualifiers went, I figured I should stick to the B main. Also, I'd be able to record the 2wd A main with Chet Kelsey's camera. However, before the main, I beefed up to a 3b piston + 35wt oil in my front shocks. What a difference this made! I could cruise over the rumbles much quicker, without getting bounced around too bad. I wound up winning the B main with more than 2 laps on the 2nd place driver. I'll have to check the results, but I think my finish would have put me somewhere in the middle of the A main. [EDIT] My time would have put me 5th in the A-main [/EDIT]

I've ordered myself a Creative Vado HD camcorder, but won't receive it for a couple of weeks. I had to borrow a camera to catch the action. Again, thanks to Chet for letting me record the the A mains with his camera, and thanks to John Stewart for recording the 2wd B main as I raced. Here are the videos from march 5th: (results will be posted a little later in the day)

2WD A MAIN


2WD B MAIN


4WD A MAIN


SC A MAIN


1/8 E BUGGY A MAIN


[/Tim Sanderson]

No comments: