Jan 21, 2011

Schumacher Slice n' Dice

The Ultima is almost ready to go for tomorrow's club race at Oshawa's Motor City Raceway.
The only thing I need is to get a hold of some front & rear 2wd tires. I might be able to squeeze on more round out of my current rear tires, but all the front tires I have are far too worn to use again. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a hold of any more Schumacher tires before tomorrow so i may have to make due with what I have around the shop. I tried my hand at cutting down a set of set of old Schumacher rear mini pins, to fit a set of 2WD wheels. I figured I'd try removing 4 rows of pins from the centre of the tires, then glue them back together. With the help of my Dad and the band saw in his workshop, they actually turned out not too bad. I left the tires mounted on a set of wheels, with the inserts still inside. The finest blade on my dad's band saw was still quite a bit more course than was ideal for cutting something like his, so the rims/inserts made it a little easier to cut. The idea wasn't to cut all the way through the tire and wheel, but rather only cut the tire by slowly rotating the wheel once the blade cut the tire. This is what I wound up with:


And this was the piece I removed:


I mounted them onto a pair of 2WD front wheels, and used a bit of hot glue on the inside of the wheels to balance the tires. I didn't do the best job of gluing them back together, so tonight I might use some acetone to take them apart, and try gluing them again. I'd rather not have that much glue on the outside of the tires.

The second pic above shows a rear tire on the left, and the cut down tires on the right. Whether or not I can get my hands on some new front tires for this weekend, I'll give these a try.
[/Tim Sanderson]

No comments: