Dec 11, 2010

Academy SB-V2

Tonight, I put my Academy SB-V2 back together. I ran this car all summer in our Tarmac Buggy class at FastCats Depot races. A bunch of us would break out our buggies to help us scratch our offroad itch. It's a pretty slick buggy, the only problem is that parts availability for any of the Academy buggy's is practically non-existent at best. I do however, have another complete kit NIB. The last time I ran it at FastCats, I stripped one of the bevel gears in the gearbox. I've since found that MRC in the US carries Academy spares. Tonight, for $10, I ordered a pair of diff/bevel gears so I can at least get it back up and running again.
My only two real complaints about the buggy, (other than the parts thing) are the lack of threaded shock bodies, and the horribly short steering throw. For some reason, only the GV2 Pro 2WD buggy's shocks are threaded, and I think I read out there somewhere that Academy came up with a fix for the steering problem.

These two pics were from earlier in the year:

I still think that out of any buggy, past or present, the SBV2 has one of the best looking bodies!

Tarmac Buggy was a pretty sporadic class this summer. Some days there would be a full heat of buggy's, and other days there'd only be 3 or so (if any) racers in a heat. Here's a few of us running a qualifier in July:


[/Tim Sanderson]

No comments: