Sep 6, 2010

Sprint 2 spool

I didn't really have a whole lot to do today, so I thought I'd replace my Sprint 2's front differential with a spool. A spool is basically a locked differential, no longer allowing the two wheels to rotate at different speeds. From what I understand, this helps the car power out of a corner with more speed, although you may lose a bit of your low-speed turning. I've used one in an Xray T2, as well as in the front wheel drive Tamiya M03. Both those cars seemed to benefit from using a spool. (at least for me, on the tracks I was running on)

This was probably the easiest tourer I've removed a diff from. Basically it was just a few screws to remove the bumper, a few more to remove the shock tower, and a few more to remove the front diff carrier thingy.




It went back together just as easily as it came apart. I want to try to squeeze one more run out of these tires, so I rotated them.


All ready for another day of racing. :)


Tim Sanderson.

No comments: