Apr 29, 2011

Speed World Wed Apr 27

I went by Speed World this past Wednesday in order to scrub/break in my new rear Schumachers before this weekend's racing. Also, after all the setup changes I've made to my RB5 over the past couple of weeks, I thought I'd try running my slim yellow mini pins on the front again.

As you can see, I've had to trim off the outer 3 rows of pins just to make them usable on Speed World's very high-bite carpet. A few weeks ago they still had far too much traction for my old setup, even with the 3 rows trimmed off. I had to drive very cautiously just to keep from rolling in the corners. I had to make sure I was completely off of the brakes before entering a corner too, otherwise I'd roll for sure. My low/mid speed cornering was awesome, but any time I made up was easily lost by rolling over every once in a while. So back to an old set of stagger ribs for a few weeks.

However during those weeks, I'd made some big changes to my setup, including roll centre, ackerman, shock oil/springs and mounting positions etc. When I tried the tires again, almost all my traction roll problems were gone. Not only has my low speed cornering greatly improved, I can still power through corners like the sweeper and hairpin corners with little threat of roll over. Haza!
Here are few laps from Wednesday's practice:


[/Tim Sanderson]

No comments: